Household Safety

Welcome to the Household Safety page!  Listed below is some valuable information to keep your family and home safe.

CLOTHES DRYERS

Be sure to check your clothes dryer on a regular basis for any lint build-up from its use.  Excessive lint that accumulates over time is a leading cause of dryer fires in homes.  Please follow the instructions in your dryer manual about the proper way to remove lint from your dryer and prevent the risk of a fire from lint build-up.

GFCI OUTLETS

Old home or new, the Electrical Safety Foundation International recommends the use of a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlet anywhere at your home – inside and outside – where water may come into contact with any type of electrical product.  A GFCI outlet is designed to stop the flow of electricity and prevent a deadly shock when there is any contact with water.  The ESFI states that the GFCI outlet is designed to constantly monitor the electricity flow and will shut off if there is even the slightest difference between the electricity moving in and out of a circuit.  As a precaution, all GFCI outlets should be tested each month AND after a major thunderstorm to be sure that they are working properly.  For more information about this type of electrical outlet, please visit the ESFI website at www.esfi.org 

KITCHEN APPLIANCES

Check your toaster for build up of crumbs from bagels, bread, english muffins, etc. that fall to the bottom.  Be sure to unplug and remove the bottom tray containing all of the crumbs that accumulate.  The more you use your toaster, the more often the tray should be removed and cleaned.

PORTABLE HEATERS

When using portable heaters in colder weather, be sure to keep all items away from them.  Do not plug any heater into an electric extension device that has numerous other cords plugged into it.  The heater cord should be plugged in directly into the outlet on the wall.  Do not cover the heater’s electric cord with a rug or other object.  Portable heaters have a tendency to draw more electricity to operate properly.  When you turn the heater on, be sure to check that the cord does not get hot.

POWER OUTAGES

In the event of a power outage remember the following:

  1. Do not use a camp stove, charcoal grill, generator or other charcoal burning or gasoline devices inside your home, basement or garage.
  2. Do not run generators, snow blowers or vehicles inside a garage that is attached to your home – even if you leave the garage door open.
  3. Do not heat your home with a gas oven.
  4. If you suspect that you have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning, open the windows if possible, leave the home or building immediately and call 911 or seek medical attention.  Carbon monoxide can incapacitate victims before they are aware that they have been exposed.